Tuesday, February 1

Why I Blog About Africa

Mwangi made me think. And think and think and think.

He wants to know why I blog about Africa.

I really did try to come up with something intelligent and profound.

But, the truth trumps it all. In the end.

It’s, plain and simple, a congenital condition. Hardly terminal, but not curable.

Africa is under my skin. Africa is the voices in my head. Africa is the itch on my back that I can’t quite reach.

Africa is my “I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me.” She’s all over me like wet on water.

When one day I began to experiment with blogging, naturally she tagged along and so here we are.

She’s beautiful and she’s strong and she’s got so much to give, she inspires me and I love her truly madly deeply.

She’s battered and bruised and sometimes broken and I love her even more.

She’s always on my mind and in my heart.

It’s not so much, then, that I choose to blog about Africa. It’s that I can’t not.

I really wish the world would see in her all that I see in her.

That’s another reason why I blog about Africa: To make this wish come true.

Here are a range of bloggers whose thoughts on the subject I think would be interesting (and varied) to read:

J.K. whom I’ve only just discovered
Ben Byerly (although I’m suitably sheepish about tagging him because I owe him a meme, I know, which I’m still working on, I promise).

6 comments:

Mrembo said...

after reading this off the KBW aggregator, I had to come here and say that you brought feeling to my heart with your post!

Beautifully said!

and a resounding Amen!

Mrembo

Hana Njau-Okolo said...

I stumbled upon you through Mashada. Great post. I look forward to visiting again.

Rombo said...

Mrembo! Lovely to see you.

Hana, welcome to my little corner on the www.

Lisa said...

I will likely never be able to visit your corner of the world, so I am very thankful to see it through your eyes.

Ishtar said...

I loved that! It was beautiful and seemed like an effortless description of why you blog about (love...) Africa!

Rombo said...

Hey Ishtar! How lovely to see you. *Waves and smiles to online friend from Niger/Sweden*

I was thinking of you the other day and *our trip* to ride that train in mauritania.

So, when?